Puff Stitch Beanie Crochet Pattern

After a long and warm summer, I can feel the weather slowly turning colder. 
However, since the weather is pretty temperamental in Australia and can never quite decide what it's plan is for the day, I feel forced to be prepared for anything! 

If there is even the slightest chance of a storm, I won't leave the house with a jacket or a scarf since I know how quickly that 5% chance of rain can turn to 95%. 

So in an effort to remain warm and cozy this year , I decided to create this cute little puff stitch beanie! 

 

What You'll Need
4.50mm Crochet Hook
75g DK Yarn {8ply} - I used Patons Big Baby
Scissors
Tapestry/Wool Needle

Finished Size
Fits 13 Years & Up

Gauge
 3 rows x 3 stitches in puff stitch = 1 inch



Pattern

Round 1~ Taking your 4.50mm crochet hook and DK yarn, start of by making a Slip Knot, then crochet 3 Chains. Crochet 6 Puff Stitches into the first chain you made. Slip Stitch into the top of chain 3. You should have 6 puff stitches now. {Note: This pattern features a Puff Stitch which can be a bit tricky to explain. I have a helpful video tutorial below that should be very useful.



Round 2~ Chain 2. Crochet 2 Puff Stitches into every stitch all around. Slip Stitch into the top of chain 2. You should have 12 puff stitches now. 
Round 3~ Chain 2. *Crochet 2 Puff Stitches into the next stitch. Then crochet 1 Puff Stitch in the next stitch.  Repeat from the * all around. Slip Stitch into the top of chain 2. You should have 18 puff stitches now.
Round 4~ Chain 2. *Crochet 2 Puff Stitches into the next stitch. Then crochet 1 Puff Stitch into the next 2 stitches.  Repeat from the * all around. Slip Stitch into the top of chain 2. You should have 24 puff stitches now.
Round 5~ Chain 2. *Crochet 2 Puff Stitches into the next stitch. Then crochet 1 Puff Stitch into the next 3 stitches.  Repeat from the * all around. Slip Stitch into the top of chain 2. You should have 30 puff stitches now.
Round 6~ Chain 2. *Crochet 2 Puff Stitches into the next stitch. Then crochet 1 Puff Stitch into the next 4 stitches.  Repeat from the * all around. Slip Stitch into the top of chain 2. You should have 36 puff stitches now.
Round 7~ Chain 2. *Crochet 2Puff Stitches into the next stitch. Then crochet 1 Puff Stitch into the next 5 stitches.  Repeat from the * all around. Slip Stitch into the top of chain 2. You should have 42 puff stitches now. 
Round 8~ Chain 2. *Crochet 2 Puff Stitches into the next stitch. Then crochet 1 Puff Stitch into the next 6 stitches.  Repeat from the * all around. Slip Stitch into the top of chain 2. You should have 48 puff stitches now. {Note: If you have a slightly smaller head, skip crocheting round 8.}
Round 9 - 20~ Chain 2. Crochet 1 Puff Stitch into every stitch all around. Slip Stitch into the top of chain 2.   
Round 21~ Chain 2. Crochet 1 Half Double Crochets into the next 10 stitches. *Crochet 1 Half Double Crochet Decrease. Crochet 1 Half Double Crochet into the next 4 stitches. Repeat from the * all around. Slip Stitch into the top of chain 2. You should have 81 half double crochets now.
Round 22 - 24Chain 2. *Crochet 1 Front Post Double Crochet into the next stitch. Crochet 1 Half Double Crochet into the next 2 stitches. Repeat from the * all around. Slip Stitch into the top of chain 2. You should have 27 front post double crochets AND 54 half double crochets now.
Fasten off, and weave in loose ends.


Hope you all enjoyed this puffy pattern!
If you did crochet this, please post a photo of your creation onto my Facebook Page.
I'd love to see it!
Have a lovely day crocheting,




7 comments:

  1. I love this hat! Thanks for sharing your awesome patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you could please start putting them up on your page as pdf downloads, that would be great. There is a free converter called CutePDF. This way, I get the pictures, too and I can save them to my phone. That is where I keep all my patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you crochet the "puff stitch"??

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you HDC into every single stich or every other one like the puff stitch

    ReplyDelete
  6. How are you getting double the stitches with a half double decrease? I am just not understanding.

    ReplyDelete